Honorary Alumni status is extended to individuals who did not attend ECU but have adopted the University as their own through uncommon and outstanding service, substantial and continuing commitment, and loyalty. In recognition of these expressions of goodwill, the Alumni Association annually bestows honorary alumni status on those whose support and friendship are exemplary in the University community. Selections are made by the Awards Committee of the Alumni Association.
Candidates must not have attended ECU as much as one full academic semester/quarter in pursuit of a degree. An occasional isolated course, either in summer school or otherwise would not cause one to be ineligible for this honor. Trustees serving current terms, Alumni Association Board of Directors and their spouses, or current ECU employees are not eligible. Recipients should have adhered to unquestionable standards of moral and ethical conduct. Receiving this honor would not prohibit the recipient from receiving any other award that the Alumni Association might choose to bestow upon him/her.
The nomination form is designed to collect only the most basic information about the nominee. In order for a nomination to be considered, the form must be completely filled out and accompanied by two letters of recommendation which address:
- outstanding contribution to his/her profession;
- outstanding contributions to the general welfare of his/her community, state, nation;
- outstanding contributions, services, etc., to East Carolina University;
- honors, awards, etc.;
- summary narrative regarding significant accomplishments of the nominee and their relationship with and service to ECU.
The supporting information may be documented in any of the following ways:
- resume or professional vita;
- articles by or about the nominee;
- any other documents deemed appropriate.
Supporting documentation should be in an easily-reproducible form:
- All materials should be typed on letter (8.5 x 11) or legal (8.5 x 14) size pages.
- All materials should be on white or other light-colored paper to facilitate photocopying