Alumni Improving Literacy in Harnett County
As part of East Carolina Alumni Association’s Service Month, we’re teaming up with Harnett County Literacy to provide materials needed to help adult learners overcome illiteracy. We will also hold a reception with light refreshments to socialize with fellow Pirates in the Harnett County area while giving back to our community.
This service project and social is complimentary for all ECU alumni and friends. Please bring a monetary donation for Harnett County Literacy (checks payable to Harnett County Literacy, Inc.) or items from their wish list of supplies.
Wish List Items:
2010 marks the 25th anniversary of Harnett County Literacy. This non-profit organization provides free, basic adult literacy and English as a Second Language (ESL) instruction and is a volunteer organization committed to wiping out illiteracy in Harnett County.
- Gently used books – all levels and subjects, in good condition to be sold for fundraising
- New or like new pre-K to juvenile reading books for adult reading library
- Backpacks or workbook-sized totes
- No. 2 pencil erasers
- Copy paper
- Paper clips
- Manila folders
- Scotch tape – refills or disposable dispensers
- Thumb tacks/push pins
- Post-It Notes
- Bland 4x6 postcards
- Envelopes – white, letter size (4 ½ x 9 ½)
- Postage stamps – 44 cents and 28 cents
- Printer ink – HP 56 Black, HP 22 Color, for HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One
- Large presentation board – fabric covered for Velcro attachments
- DVD/VCR combo player
- Personal cassette players
- Small, electric space heater
- Instructional posters – maps, alphabet, etc.Manipulative teaching tools – math, alphabet, hands-on items
- Plastic cups, utensils, paper or plastic plates, napkins
- Individually wrapped hard candies – peppermint, butterscotch, etc.
- Door prizes – small, gender neutral gifts
Be sure to wear your favorite PURPLE and GOLD to show your Pirate Pride! And bring your Alumni Association membership card to be entered into our membership drawing for a chance to win ECU goodies!
Please register online by Friday, April 16 to let us know you're coming!
If you are unable to attend the reception but would like to participate in this service project, you can drop off materials at the same location the week of April 12-16 between 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Please tell the receptionist that you are participating in the ECU Alumni Harnett County Service Project so that you will be counted as a participant. Your donated materials will be included in the list of contributions made from ECU alumni and friends.